RV Albatross III Was a fisheries research ship in commission in the United States Fish and Wildlife Service from 1948 to 1959. Prior to her career Fish and Wildlife Service, she saw Briefly Service During World War II as the United States Coast Guard patrol vessel USCGC Bellefonte (WYP-373) , in commission from April to August 1944.
Construction and early history
The ship Was built in 1926 by Bath Iron Works at Bath , Maine ,  as the 140-foot (42.7-meter) Commercial steam trawler SS Harvard . Harvard fished the waters off New England until 1939, when the General Seafoods Corporation sold to the United States Government for $ 1.00 ( USD ). She came under the control of the United States Department of the Interior , which assigned her to the US Fish and Wildlife Service for the conversion and operation of the Albatross III. 
United States Coast Guard career
The United States entered World War II on 7 December 1941. By 1942, Albatross III ‘ s conversion was well underway, but patrol vessels were badly needed to deal with threats from German submarines , and it was transferred to the US Coast Guard that year for conversion to a patrol vessel. The United States Navy , which oversaw its conversion for the Coast Guard, made radical changes to the ship, lengthening its to 179 feet (54.6 meters) overall , removing its trawling equipment, and installing armament and other military equipment.  
By the time the ship Was commissioned into Coast Guard Service as the patrol vessel USCGC Bellefonte (WYP-373) , the first Coast Guard ship of the name, is 6 April 1944, the submarine threat Largely HAD abated, and Bellefonte , ALTHOUGH She Had A mariform bow designed for icebreaking , lacked the stability to be used in the Coast Guard had intended. Her guard career as a Coast Guard vessel ended on August 22, 1944, when the Coast Guard decommissioned her. The Coast Guard is going back to the Fish and Wildlife Service that year.  
United States Fish and Wildlife Service career
Returning to the name Albatross III , the ship under the auspices of another process of conversion to a fishing vessel. After this final was completed, she was commissioned to the Fish and Wildlife Service on March 19, 1948 at the Boston Fish Pier in Boston , Massachusetts . 
Fisheries research capabilities
Albatross III resembled a Boston trawler , with her deck fitted out in the standard Boston trawler layout, though she was much longer than most such ships. She had an electric trawl winch with 600 fathoms (3,600 feet; 1,097 meters) of 7/8-inch (2.22-cm) wire on each of her two drums, allowing her to be trawl in waters up to 200 fathoms (1,200 feet; 366 meters) deep. She had a fish hold with a capacity of 50,000 pounds (22,680 kg ) of fish on ice and two freezers , one of which could freeze fish quickly and maintain a temperature of minus 20 degrees F (minus 28.9 degrees C), while the other was at 32 degrees F (0 degrees C).
Albatross III had two laboratories on his own deck just aft of the trawl winch. One, her wet laboratory , opened the door and starboard decks through Dutch doors , had in its center to a stainless steel sink suitable for handling and examining fish, and had two small sinks in cabinets for its external bulkheads for chemical and hydrographic work. Her other laboratory , a dry laboratory, was aft of the wet laboratory and doubled as a library; It Had a wide work table, chairs, a bench, and shelves, and early in her career served as an office for scientists Conducting the preliminary study of data file Managed at sea, ALTHOUGH it later Was filled with electronic equipment related to underwater televisionresearch. 
The ship had hydrographic booms and winches on her bridge deck on both her port and starboard sides. The booms HAD mechanical travelers to qui Lowering blocks Were attached qui produit the distance Lowering of the wire from the rail. 
Albatross III had accommodations for 35 staff. Her standard complement was 21 crew members and six scientists, and additional staff, or additional crew members or additional scientists, as required on a particular voyage. 
Albatross III ‘ s career Focused on the fisheries and oceanography of the northwest Atlantic Ocean . Her first scientific cruise Began is 17 May 1948, and she operated fairly Consistently up to September 1949 we survey work on the New England Banks , in experiments with the selectivity of various sizes of mesh in otter trawls to determine what sizes Worked best to allow undersized fish to escape, and in hydrographic work on plankton. The Fish and Wildlife Service has been established with the help of a large number of people. This proved to be impractical, however, the idea was abandoned, and financial shortfalls began to plague her operating schedule. In 1950 she had to suspend operations in September. In February 1951, the Fish and Wildlife Service is loaned to the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution at Woods Hole , Massachusetts, for the Office of Naval Researchcontract, and this provided the funding to allow her to resume operations. In 1952 the Fish and Wildlife Service operated under the same contract. She finally returned to fisheries research in March 1953. She again ceased operations in September 1953 and was tied up at Woods Hole. 
In January 1954 the Fish and Wildlife Service obtained new funds for her operations, and Albatross III resumed fisheries research and operated continually until March 1959, coming under the control of the Fish and Wildlife Service ‘ s new Bureau of Commercial Fisheries as a result of 1956 Reorganization of the Fish and Wildlife Service’s activities. During the fishing season New Zealand and in adjacent areas. Much of the work of the International Commission for the Northwest Atlantic Fisheries , which was concerned with the regulation of the fisheries in the area, and made substantial contributions to the study of the groundfishresources of the northwest Atlantic. The work of the fishery is one of the most important, and one of the most important, programs for the development of fisheries, and the understanding of the environment. .
Decommissioning and disposal
Facilitated by the Bureau of Commercial Fisheries in Albatross III in March 1959. She was sold to the Steamship Line Island of Hyannis , Mass., In November 1959.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c United States Coast Guard Historian’s Office: Bellefonte , 1944 WYP-373
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e f g h NOAA History: Albatross III