Kalepolepo Fishpond , Known by ict older name Ko ‘ ie ‘ i.e. Loko I ‘ was , is an ancient Hawaiian fishpond Estimated to-have-been built entre 1400-1500 AD. The fishpond is located in Kalepolepo Park in Kīhei on the island of Maui . In 1996, the ‘ Ao ‘ ao O Na Loka I ‘ a Maui O (Association of the Fishponds of Maui) began renovating Ko ‘ ie ‘ i.e., working closely with the Hawaiian Islands Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary . 
Ko ‘ ie ‘ ie (“rapid current”) is classified as a loko kuapa (walled pond), a type of fishpond that uses lava rock and coral walls ( kuapa ) to keep water circulating while a wooden sluice gate ( makaha ) allows small fish to enter the pond to feed. Species of fish by Hawaiian include the awa ( milkfish , Chanos chanos ), ama ‘ ama ( mullet flathead , Mugil cephalus ), and theaholehole (Hawaiian Flagtail, Kuhlia xenura ).
The Fishpond was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1996, as Kalepolepo Fishpond with Alternate Names Ko ‘ ie ‘ i.e. Fishpond and Ka ‘ ono ‘ ulu Kai Fishpond . 
- ^ Jump up to:a b National Park Service (2008-04-15). “National Register Information System” . National Register of Historic Places . National Park Service.
- Jump up^ “Get to know your fishpond – Ko’ie’ie” . Kihei, HI, USA:’Ao’ao O Na Loko I’a O Maui [Association of the Fishponds of Maui] . Retrieved November 26, 2012 .
- Clark, John RK (1989). The Beaches of Maui County . University of Hawaii Press . pp. 47-48. ISBN 0-8248-1246-8 . OCLC 19393830 .
- James, Van (2001). Ancient Sites of Maui, Molokai’i and Lana’i . Honolulu, HI: Mutual Publishing. pp. 73-76. ISBN 1-56647-529-5 . OCLC 61295380 .
- Kamakau, Samuel M. (1992). The Works of the People of Old . Honolulu, HI: Bishop Museum Press. ISBN 0-910240-18-3 . OCLC 2345803 .
- San Nicolas, Claudine (2005-09-27). “Restoring ‘history ‘ ” . The Maui News . Archived from the original on 2006-04-14.
- Tom, Allen; Kapulehua, Kimokeo (2007). “Ko’ie’ie Fishpond Renovation: An Example of Local, State and Federal Partnership” (PDF) . Portland, Oregon: NOAA Coastal Services Center : 1-6. ignored ( help )