A corf (corve) also spelt corve is a container of wood, net, chicken wire , metal or plastic used to contain fish , eels or crustaceans (such as crayfish ) underwater, at docks or in fishing boats .  
Origin of term
1350-1400; Middle English from Dutch and German Korb , ultimately borrowed from Latin corbis basket;  cf. corbeil
Corves were originally crucial to keeping the sea at bay.  A corf could be towed behind the boat while the fishermen made the journey from the fishing grounds to the fish market . These days could last up to half a day.  When used for storing eels in Blekinge , Sweden, the corves could be as large as 3.75 by 1.33 by 0.8 m (12.3 by 4.4 by 2.6 ft) and contain about 2 metric tons (4,400 lb) of eels. They would be anchored approximately 100 m (330 ft) from land in an area where the water circulation was good to keep the eels alive.  Smaller crows were often used in fishing boats to keep alive for longline fishing. 
The corf could also be built into the boat, and sometimes be a significant part of it.  Fishing boats with a well Amidships Where water is circulated through small holes in the hull are Known As well smacks .  
In present days used for refrigeration and freezing. 
A corf-house is a small building or built for commercial curing of fish, mostly salmon , in. It is also used to store net and fishing equipment in.  One such house is listed by Lovat Bridge Corf House in Beauly , Scotland. 
Corves are Mainly used by recreational fishermen and mass-produced in plastic netting or metal.   Sweden,    and Australia. 
Modern fishing boats often have integral corves. These are built into the boat and the water kept them fresh and oxygenated through a circulatory system. This kind of corf is called a livewell .  
- Fish farming
- Live fish trade
- Well smack
- Jump up^ “Fisheries management (general) regulations 2007-reg 3” . www.austlii.edu . Australasian Legal Information Institute . Retrieved 12 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ Strömquist, Siv (6 April 2003). “Sumpad sump i sumpen” [Lost used coffee grounds in the corf]. www.svd.se . Svenska Dagbladet . Retrieved 14 November 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Jamieson, John (1840). An Etymological Dictionary of the Scottish Language (2 ed.). W. Tait. p. 245.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Kjellgren Joachim (22 August 2013). “Ovanligt träföremål i vår frågelåda” [Question about an unusual object]. www.murberget.se . Länsmuseet Västernorrland . Retrieved 14 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ “History” . www.leroyseafood.com . Lerøy . Retrieved 14 November 2015.
- Jump up^ “Fisksump / ålsump från Truseryd” . www.blekingemuseum.se . Blekinge museum . Retrieved 14 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ Johnson, Lars. “Åländsk fisksump” [Well smack from Åland]. www.tugboatlars.se . tugboatlars.se . Retrieved 14 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Well smack for driftnet fishing K. 1213 To be burned from Kalvehave” . www.fimus.dk . Fisheries and Maritime Museum, Esbjerg . Retrieved 14 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ Johnston, WA; Nicholson, A.Roger; Stroud, GD (1994). Freezing and refrigerated storage in fisheries . Aberdeen: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations . p. 13.1. ISBN 92-5-103579-2 .
- Jump up^ “By Corf House Lovat Bridge, Beauly” . www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk . BritishListedBuildings . Retrieved 16 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Fisksump” [Corf]. www.malco.se . Malco . Retrieved 16 November 2015.
- Jump up^ “Strömmings sköljare metall” [Herring corf, metal]. www.sumpansfiske.se. Sundbybergs Sportfiske . Retrieved 16 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Generella villkor” [General terms]. www.fiskekort.se . Sveriges Sportfiske-och Fiskevårdsförbund . Retrieved 16 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Fiskelag (1993: 787)” [Laws on fishing (1993: 787)]. www.notisum.se . Notisum AB . Retrieved 16 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Fiskeregler i havet” (Fishing regulations at sea) (PDF) . www.lansstyrelsen.se . County Administrative Boards of Sweden . Retrieved 16 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Fisheries (General) Regulations 2000” (PDF) . www.legislation.sa.gov.au . Government of Australia . Retrieved 16 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Hur man installar in Aerator Pump fisktanks” [How to install a livewell aerator pump]. www.drelkins.com . Drelkins . Retrieved 16 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Arvor 250 AS” . www.gbm.se . GBM Marin AB . Retrieved 16 November2015 .