Jonas Axel Boeck (May 16, 1833 – May 6, 1873) was a Norwegian marine biologist .
Axel Boeck was born in 1833 in Aker (now part of Oslo ) to Peter Peter Bianco Boeck (1798-1877) and Elisabeth Collett (1806-1883). He did not marry. He died in 1873 in Christiania (now Oslo). 
Work and legacy
He Studied medicine , Completing His degree in 1863. ALTHOUGH He Was Somewhat overshadowed by His Successors Georg Ossian Sars and Johan Hjort , Boeck Was a pioneer of fisheries science . He was the first Norwegian fisheries scientist, and the country’s first herring researcher.  His major works were Crustacea Amphipoda Borealia and Arctica (1870), about northern amphipods , and Om Silden og Sildefiskerierne, navnlig om det norske Vaarsildfisket (1871), on the Atlantic herring and its fishery . In the latter, a study of archival data and combined scientific and historical approaches. 
The coepod genus Boeckella is named in honor of Axel Boeck,   were species Metopa boeckii , Boecki diastylis , Asterocheres boecki , Pardaliscella boeckii , Boeckii amphilochoides , Sarsameira boecki , Boecki metridia , Boecki parandania , Follicculina boecki and Siphonactinia boeckii . 
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Pål Christensen. “Axel Boeck” . Norsk biografisk leksikon (in Norwegian) . Retrieved February 1, 2012 .
- Jump up^ Julia Lajus (2008). “Understanding the dynamics of fisheries and fish populations: historical approaches from the 19th century”. In David John Starkey & Michaela Barnard. Oceans Past: Management Insights from the History of Marine Animal Populations . Earthscan . p. 182. ISBN 978-1-84407-527-0 .
- Jump up^ VH Jolly (1956). “A review of the copepod genus Boeckella in New Zealand” ( PDF ) . Transactions of the Royal Society of New Zealand . 84 (4): 855-865.
- Jump up^ George M. Thomson (1882). “On the New Zealand Copepoda” . Transactions and Proceedings of the Royal Society of New Zealand . 15 : 93-116.
- Jump up^ Hans G. Hansson. “Jonas Axel Boeck” . Personal Etymology of Marine Organism Names . Göteborgs Universitet . Retrieved February 1, 2012 .