Catfish are easy to farm in warm climates, leading to inexpensive and safe food at local grocers. Catfish raised in inland tanks or channels are considered safe for the environment, since their waste and disease should be contained and not spread to the wild. 
In Asia, many catfish species are important as food. Several walking catfish (Clariidae) and shark catfish (Pangasiidae) are highly cultured in Africa and Asia . Exports of one particular shark catfish species from Vietnam , Pangasius bocourti , with catfish industry. In 2003, The United States Congress passed a law preventing the fish from being labeled as catfish.  As a result, the Vietnamese exporters of this fish in the US as ” basa fish “. 
Ictalurids are grown in North America (especially in the Deep South , with Mississippi being the largest domestic catfish producer).  Channel catfish ( Ictalurus punctatus ) supports $ 450 million / yr aquaculture industry.  The US farm-raised catfish industry began in the early 1960s in Kansas , Oklahoma and Arkansas . Channel catfish became the largest catfish grown, as it was hardy and easily spawned in earthen ponds . By the late 60s, the industry moved into the Mississippi Deltaas farmers struggled with sagging profits in cotton, rice and soybeans, especially on those farm areas where they had a very high clay content.
The Mississippi Delta est devenu the home industry for the catfish industry, As They Had the soils, climate and shallow aquifers to Provide water for the earthen ponds grow That 360-380 million pounds (160,000 to 170,000 tons) of catfish Annually. Catfish are fed a grain-based diet that includes soybean meal. Fish are fed daily through the summer at rates of 1-6% of body weight with the pelleted floating feed. Catfish need of two pounds of feed to produce one pound of live weight. Mississippi is home to 100,000 acres (400 km 2 ) of catfish ponds, the largest of any state. Other states important in growing catfish include Alabama , Arkansas and Louisiana .
There is a wide and growing ornamental fish trade, with Hundreds of species of catfish, Such As Corydoras and armored suckermouth catfish (Often called Expired plecos), being white is popular component of Many aquaria . Other catfish commonly found in the catfish aquarium are catfish , talking catfish , and long-whiskered catfish .
- fish farming
- Channel catfish
- John Halver
- List of harvested aquatic animals by weight
- Jump up^ Rogers, Paul. “Economy of Scales” . Stanford Magazine . Stanford Alumni Association (March / April 2006) . Retrieved 2008-02-14 .
- Jump up^ http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-catfish28nov28,0,6595048.story?coll=la-home-businessLA Times, “‘Catfish’ bred in Asia move up on US food chain “, 28 November 2006
- Jump up^ 
- Jump up^ JE Morris (October 1993). “Pond Culture Channel Catfish in the North Central Region” (PDF) . North Central Regional Aquaculture Center . Retrieved 2006-06-28 .
- Jump up^ Lundberg, John G .; Friel, John P. (2003-01-20). “Siluriformes” . Tree of Life Web Project . Retrieved 2007-04-18 .